Job Vacancy : Apprentice EFL (English as a Foreign Language) Teachers
The Trinity College London Level 5 Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CertTESOL)
Why Trinity CertTESOL?
If you are thinking of becoming a teacher of English to speakers of other languages, and are looking for a course leading to a qualification that will help you get a job with a good employer then taking a Trinity Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CertTESOL) course is a perfect choice. The CertTESOL is accepted by the British Council as an initial TESOL or TEFL qualification for teachers in its accredited teaching organisations in the UK and in its own teaching operations overseas.
The course is designed for both those who are new to teaching and for those who are more experienced teachers and recognise the need to gain an internationally recognised initial teacher education qualification. At the end of the course, you will leave with the basic skills and knowledge needed to take up a first post as an EFL or ESOL teacher. The course provides an introduction to the theory and practice of English teaching plus an insight into the challenges facing the learner and the role of the teacher. All great preparation for your first job!
The New Blended Course Mode
This summer Millfield will be offering the new CertTESOL Blended Mode Course (2 weeks online and 3 weeks face-to-face) provided by Language Point.
The blended course mode gives teachers the opportunity to complete this qualification in only 3 weeks of face-to-face study. The 2-week online phase prepares trainees in basic language awareness and knowledge of key methodologies for success on the practical face-to-face component.
30 hours of online reading, video and online submission tasks held over 2 weeks during May or June 2019 (dates to be confirmed)
8th – 28th July 2019 at Millfield (Millfield staff induction will commence on 4th July)
Newly Qualified Teacher Phase:
29th July – 18th August 2019
The Millfield Package
- Full board and accommodation during Face-to-Face and Newly Qualified Teacher Phases
- 3 weeks salaried experience post course as a newly qualified teacher with mentoring support and CPD Workshops
- The chance to be part of the teaching team at a well-organised British Council Accredited, EFL Gazette Centre of Excellence.
This is a great opportunity for anyone who is planning to go travelling or thinking of EFL teaching as a career option. The Trinity TESOL Certificate is an internationally recognised and accredited qualification.
Unit 1 - Teaching Skills, including input covering:
- TESOL approaches, methods and techniques
- Lesson structures and objectives
- Lesson Planning and stating clear aims
- Supervised lesson planning support
- 6 hours of observed teaching practice and reflective feedback, evidenced through the collected Teaching Practice Portfolio
- 4 hours of Guided Observation of experienced TESOL teachers, summarised in the Guided Observation Journal assignment
Unit 2 - Language Awareness and Skills, including input covering:
- Grammar (word class, syntax and functions)
- Vocabulary teaching and learning
- Phonology, the International Phonemic Alphabet and pronunciation teaching
- Suprasegmental features of phonology (stress, intonation and connected speech)
- 90-minute final language awareness exam
Unit 3 - Learner Profile:
- An extended assignment summarising a process of needs analysis, language analysis and targeted instruction held with one language learner.
- A 5000-word written assignment
Unit 4 - Materials Assignment (External assessment):
- A short assignment giving a rationale for the design of a piece of teaching material, and an evaluation of its effectiveness when used in teaching practice lesson
- One piece of self-designed teaching material
- A 500-word written rationale and evaluation of the material
- A face-to-face presentation of the material to a Trinity College moderator
Unit 5 - Unknown Language:
- 4 hours of participation in lessons held in a language unfamiliar to all course participants, followed by post-lesson reflection sessions
To apply please fill in an application form which can be found at the bottom of this page. Details on how to submit your application can be found on the application form.
Interviews will be held via Skype with the Director of Studies and the Director of Holiday Courses and Events. There will be a pre-interview Language Awareness Task to complete.
Find Out More
For more information on the Millfield package contact our Director of Studies, Kate Smook, at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on Language Point courses visit languagepointtraining.com
For more details of the Trinity CertTESOL qualification please visit trinitycollege.co.uk
We at Millfield are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Please read our Safeguarding Policy (downloadable below). All successful applicants will be DBS checked.
Job Information docx / 30Kb
Application Form New Applicants pdf / 193Kb
Application Form New Applicants docx / 717Kb
Application Form Returning Staff docx / 714Kb
Application Form Returning Staff pdf / 190Kb
Recruitment Guidelines pdf / 145Kb
Frequently Asked Questions pdf / 77Kb
Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy pdf / 399Kb