Millfield Enterprises is a business that represents the prestigious name of Millfield and is responsible for maximising the use of the school’s extensive facilities during the holiday periods.
Amongst other courses and events it runs the Millfield English Language Holiday Courses (MELHC) in the Easter and summer holidays, which provides international students aged 6-17 with an opportunity to develop their English language skills in an engaging and creative environment.
Millfield Enterprises has 14 permanent staff and employ around 60 temporary staff for MELHC at Easter and over 300 during the summer.
MELHC was founded in 2001 by current Director of Holiday Courses and Events, Mark Greenow. The first campus was Street, followed by Glastonbury Campus which was introduced in 2005 to cater for our younger students, and then Bruton Campus which was introduced in 2013 to offer a new range of options for older students.
However, the campuses weren't always named this way. In 2016 for the purposes of MELHC we renamed the campuses to reflect their location - Street Campus is based at Millfield’s senior school in the village of Street but was previously called Millfield Senior, Glastonbury Campus is based at Millfield’s preparatory school in the town of Glastonbury but was previously called Millfield Junior and Bruton Campus is based at King’s Bruton’s senior school in the town of Bruton but was previously called King's Bruton.
When we are not using the campuses for our English language holiday courses, the schools themselves retain their original names and are used year-round as independent co-educational schools. If you are interested in reading a little more about the history of the schools, please see the 'A Brief History' section below.
The best institutions have a sense of purpose and at MELHC this is ingrained. We have clear ideas about what we want to achieve in a modern learning environment. This is a people industry and we realise that when parents send their children to us they don’t just want a language course, what they really want is the best possible future for them.
We engineer spaces where natural learning can take place in a holistic setting, equipping students with life (and life-long) language ability, skills, and social and cultural awareness.
We do this by employing dedicated and inspirational staff in a creative and innovative environment.
We recognise also that peers are perhaps equally as important as teachers. For this reason we invite students of the same age to come and share this sometimes life changing experience as mentors. These young mentors guide, support, and help international students to develop friendships and model spoken English. They are residential and take part in all English lessons, activities, excursions, and social events.
Nothing is more important to us than sparking the curious minds of the leaders of the future.
Millfield Enterprises is a business that represents the prestigious name of Millfield School in the provision of holiday courses and events.
All of the staff in our employment, all of the students under our care and all parents, agents and visitors are treated with equal concern and without prejudice to their religious persuasion, racial origin, cultural background, gender, disability or special needs.
Positive attitudes are encouraged by promoting respect for others at all times.
We believe in people and our aim is to ensure that time spent with us is productive, memorable, stimulating and enjoyable. We want everyone to get involved, make friends and fully develop their potential.
How to Find Us
Click here to find out more.
Accreditations, Membership & Awards
"Quality English schools are carefully selected from the best Independent English language schools in English speaking countries. They are renowned for their quality and reputation, and offer a choice of general and specialised courses in desirable locations around the world. All schools are independently owned and managed. They are not part of a chain and each school has its own unique character." - Quality English (02.05.2018) Available at: www.quality-english.com/about-us/
"The United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities." - British Council (02.05.2018) www.britishcouncil.org
"English UK is the national association of accredited English language centres in the United Kingdom. They are a UK registered charity with the key aim of advancing the education of international students in the English language, in the home of the English language." - English UK (02.05.2018) Available at: www.englishuk.com/who-are-we
English UK SW
"English UK South West formed in May 2009 and is a voluntary affiliation of language centres. The association formed from English in Devon, itself one of the first regional associations for accredited language schools in the UK. All centres are accredited by the British Council and members of English UK." - English UK South West (02.05.2018) Available at: www.englishuksouthwest.com/about/
Young Learners English UK
"Young Learners English UK is a Special Interest Group of English UK for accredited providers of quality English language courses for Young Learners (we identify 'Young Learners' as children and teenagers aged from 7 to 17 years)." - Young Learners English UK (02.05.2018) Available at: yleuk.com
"Trinity College London is a leading international exam board and independent education charity that has been providing assessments around the world since 1877." – Trinity College London (02.05.2018) Available at: www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=6
Cambridge Assessment English
We are a centre authorised by Cambridge Assessment English, part of the University of Cambridge. Through Cambridge Assessment English we offer the world's leading range of qualifications and tests for learners and teachers of English, globally recognised by more than 20,000 leading universities, employers and governments.
"We provide the world’s leading range of qualifications for learners and teachers of English. Our expertise, gathered over 100 years of language learning and assessment, has led us to working with educational institutions and local and regional governments around the world." – Cambridge Assessment English (02.05.2018) Available at: www.cambridgeenglish.org/about/
EL Gazette Centre of Excellence
"EL Gazette (it's short for 'English Language Gazette') is an international news and media company for the English Language Teaching (ELT) industry and international English-medium education." - EL Gazette (02.05.2018) Available at: www.elgazette.com/about-us/about-el-gazette.html
EL Gazette provides rankings of language schools in the UK, which are based on the British Council inspectors’ summary statements. Only schools who have met the British Council standard can be awarded an EL Gazette Centre of Excellence. The rankings are available at www.el-go.com
Association of Language Travel Organisations
"ALTO is the only premium forum joining leading language travel agents, schools, and national associations as one global community." – ALTO (02.05.2018) Available at: altonet.org/about-us/
UED Agency Awards of Turkey
A Brief History
Millfield, in the village of Street, Somerset, was founded by Jack Meyer (affectionately referred to as ‘Boss’) in 1935, following his return from India where he had been teaching since 1929. Meyer brought seven Indian boys, six of whom were princes, with him to Millfield to further and improve their studies. Meyer rented Millfield House from the Quaker family, Clarks, who started their footwear manufacturing business in the village of Street itself in 1825. Millfield House was used as the original Millfield School and is now one of the school’s boarding houses, and stands as a landmark and memory of the visionary Jack Meyer.
By 1939 pupil numbers had increased to 40, including a small number of girls and the school became one of the first independent schools to be co-educational. In 1942, Martin Attlee, son of the then Deputy Prime Minister, Clem, joined the school in the hope of overcoming ‘word-blindness’. The Millfield method was so successful that Martin went on to university, the school gaining fame as the first in the country to successfully help dyslexic pupils.
In 1945, with an increasing number of younger pupils, Jack Meyer saw the need to expand the school and bought Edgarley house and grounds in the nearby town of Glastonbury. Edgarley (now known as Millfield Prep) was originally part of an iron-age settlement around Glastonbury Tor, then in post-Roman times the property of a local British chieftain who later gave way to Saxon invaders. In the late 7th century the land was granted to the Abbey by a Saxon chieftain, thereby becoming one of the so-called Glaston XII hides.
In the years immediately following the Dissolution in 1539 (when Henry VIII confiscated church property), Edgarley belonged to the Crown, but it subsequently passed through many hands before coming into the ownership of the Porch family from the nearby city of Wells in the 18th century. The Porch’s also owned Glastonbury Abbey for a number of years in the middle of the 19th century, hence the considerable amount of Abbey stonework to be found there, particularly the Summer House or ‘Hermitage’, as it was known in their day.
The Porch family was large, wealthy and influential for a time, enlarging Edgarley house considerably in the 1880s, but it suffered several setbacks around the turn of the century, which led to the estate being sold to the Thomas-Ferrands in 1915. By 1945 the Thomas-Ferrands had seen their family home suffer from Army occupation during the war and so sold the house and grounds to their friend, Meyer.
By the late 60s a large proportion of pupils, including increasing numbers of girls, were transferring to Millfield in Street instead of other public schools, and by the mid-80s numbers reached nearly 500, with a corresponding improvement and expansion in facilities.
Although Millfield is best-known for its sport, pupils have gone on to excel in a wide range of areas. Successful old Millfieldians include former British Lions and Wales rugby captain Gareth Edwards, “Desperate Housewives” actress and Golden Globe winner Nicolette Sheridan, BBC chief political correspondent John Sergeant, Olympic swimming Gold medallist Duncan Goodhew, former Radio 1 Disc Jockey Tony Blackburn and drummer of legendary rock group the Police, Stewart Copeland.
King’s Bruton’s history began over 400 years before Millfield’s in 1519 when three eminent men who had been born in Bruton - Richard Fitzjames, Bishop of London, Sir John Fitzjames, later to become Chief Justice of the King’s Bench, and Dr John Edmundes, Chancellor of St Paul’s Cathedral - decided to establish a new school in the town.
They granted several properties to the Abbot of Bruton, William Gilbert, and directed him to build the school. Just twenty years later, in 1539, Bruton Abbey was dissolved and handed over, along with the school’s endowments, to King Henry VIII. However, after Henry’s death and in response to a petition from the people of Bruton, King Edward VI restored the school’s endowments on 1st May 1550, and by his Royal Charter, a Board of Governors was established to administer the school.
The school, although small, flourished during the 16th and 17th Centuries. Among pupils of this period were Thomas Russell, friend of Shakespeare and Executor of his Will, and, it is believed, William Dampier, explorer and buccaneer. Like other ancient schools, King’s Bruton then slumbered in the 18th Century until it was roused by the Reverend JCJ Hoskyns-Abrahall, Headmaster from 1826 to 1864. This fine scholar and, according to tradition, severe disciplinarian educated many boys to become prominent Victorians. His pupils included:
R.D. Blackmore - Writer of Lorna Doone
Sir Charles Knight Pearson - Hero of the Zulu Wars
Capt Verney Lovett-Cameron - African explorer
Lt Col Sir Edmund Henderson - Much respected Comptroller-General of Convicts in Western Australia, who returned to become Chief Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, where he established the C.I.D
By 1900 the School was still small, with no more than sixty boys living and working in just two buildings – Old House, based on the original Schoolhouse, and New House, built in 1872, which served as the Headmaster’s House as well as a second boarding house. During the 20th Century there was a considerable expansion in the number of pupils, reaching over 300 by the 1950s, and staying at that level ever since.
This increase necessitated new buildings and improved facilities, and these were achieved thanks in no small part to the generosity of two great benefactors, James Lyon, O.B. and the 2nd Lord Blackford. Notable developments over the years included the move of the Junior School to Hazlegrove House, Sparkford, in 1947, a new Dining Hall, the Fitzjames Theatre and Sports Hall, a Design Centre, the Hobhouse Science Centre, a new Library, and the Basil Wright Building, accommodating Reception and School Offices. However, the most significant development of the past fifty years has been the introduction of girl pupils, beginning in 1969 when girls were welcomed into the School’s Sixth Form, followed by full co-education from 1997.
So there has been much change since the school was founded nearly five centuries ago, and the Founders’ original avowed aim of producing ‘perfight latyn men’ has been greatly modified to suit 21st Century needs. Nevertheless, true to its traditions, the school still has close links with the town and the parish church which is used for school services, and the pupils continue to be encouraged to develop their abilities in a friendly, stable, but progressive, environment as a preparation for life in the modern world.